Please share this newsletter with family and friends! It’s filled with information on the recent 2018 International AIDS Conference, upcoming events and resources! Thank you!
Resources from the 2018 Breaking Barriers AIDS Conference
- Bible Study Bishop Tracy Smith Malone
- Aging and HIV Power Point
- Abundant Health and the Church
- Global AIDS and Youth Power Point
- Global Perspectives and Trends Power Point from Kenya – Photos
- Global Perspectives and Trends Presentation – PDF
- HIV in the Southern US Power Point
- How to start a Strength for the Journey Retreat
- Human Sexuality Power Point
- Declaration of Liberation from the Positive Women’s Network
- Eliminating Stigma – A Human Rights Challenge Power Point
- Strength For The Journey 2019 Brochure
- Video for Strength for the Journey – please visit: dscumc.org/sftj
Audio/Visual Recordings of Plenary Sessions:
- Day 1: Thursday Abundant Health Panel and Opening Worship: https://boxcast.tv/view/breaking-barriers-day-1-674524
- Day 2: Opening Devotions, Bible Study by Bishop Tracy Smith Malone & Panel on Stigma: https://boxcast.tv/view/breaking-barriers-day-2-867281
- Day 2: Keynote Luncheon Speaker, Hydeia Broadbent: https://boxcast.tv/view/breaking-barriers-day-2-371035
- Day 2: Panel Presentation on Global AIDS and Youth: https://boxcast.tv/view/breaking-barriers-day-2-835305
- Day 2: Keynote Address by Jeanne White-Ginder, Leadership Awards, & Evening Vespers & Remembrance: https://boxcast.tv/view/breaking-barriers-day-2-431549
- Day 3: Panel Discussion on People of Color and HIV & AIDS: https://boxcast.tv/view/breaking-barriers-day-3-439771
- Day 3: Closing Worship: https://boxcast.tv/view/breaking-barriers-day-3-779544
Newly Released 2018 Report on AIDS Ministries in United Methodist Annual Conferences in the United States and around the globe. Check it out!
“I Can’t Hear You! Are You Listening?”
A new, downloadable resource available from Balm in Gilead, a not-for-profit, non-governmental organization (NGO) whose mission is to prevent diseases and to improve the health status of individuals who are disproportionately affected by high rates of health disparities, especially HIV, hepatitis C, cervical cancer and sexual violence. Now in its 26th year, The Balm In Gilead is based in Richmond, VA (USA) and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. The organization provides technical support to over 10,000 faith institutions regarding the implementation of health education and service programs.
World AIDS Day Resources:
World AIDS Day is commemorated by people around the world on December 1st each year. Below are several resources usable in local churches or other settings.
World AIDS Day: A Time of Remembrance and Action – Article in Faith In Action, 2017
2016 Health Tool Kit for World AIDS Day – US Department of Health and Human Services
Worship Tools for World AIDS Day – UMC Discipleship Ministries
2016 World AIDS Day Materials – UNAIDS
2016 World AIDS Day – United Nations
World Health Organization AIDS Resources – Find statistics, stories and other resources usable for World AIDS Day events
2015 World AIDS Day Resources – United Church of Christ
World AIDS Day Service – Ecumenical Advocacy Alliance 2015
A Call to Action for Children – a downloadable resource published by UNICEF, PEPFAR, UNAIDS, The Coalition for Children Affected by AIDS, The World Bank and USAID. Excellent resource for small group study.
AIDS Ambassador Information Sheet – This downloadable resource describes the role of serving as a United Methodist AIDS Ambassador. An excellent resource for local churches and annual conferences! All members of the UMGAF AIDS Network are considered AIDS Ambassadors. To sign up, write to: firstname.lastname@example.org, and submit your name requesting to be added to the AIDS Network as an AIDS Ambassador.
HIV & AIDS – Fact Sheet from General Board of Church & Society. Downloadable.
Interactive Map on the Physical Impact of HIV on the Human Body – A 2014 article published by Healthline written by Ann Pietrangelo about the impact of HIV on the body and the affect on the immune system.
Map of UMGAF Projects and Information 2015
US National AIDS Strategy 2015 – This strategy is developed by the United States Office of AIDS Policy. It contains an Executive Summary along with statistics and projected goals through 2020. This is a vital document for those in the United States who are addressing the AIDS issue.
Just Save One brochure 2014 – this is the official brochure of the UMC Global AIDS Fund and its new initiative on the prevention of Mother-to-Child transmission of HIV. These brochures are available at the General Board of Church & Society. No charge except postage.
Latinos/as & HIV&AIDS – produced from the General Board of Church & Society. Downloadable.
Pastoral Letter on AIDS from the World Council of Churches – June 2016
Valentine’s Day Resources 2015 – This one page resource can be distributed in local churches, small groups including youth groups. Downloadable.
2014 AIDS Advent Study – The Season of Change produced by the General Board of Church & Society. Excellent resource for small groups including youth groups. Free downloadable.
Stamp Out Stigma – A 2013 Indiana Annual Conference resource for local congregations. This downloadable booklet includes basic information on HIV with a strong focus on stigma and how faith organizations can eradicate stigma by education and extending care and love to persons living with HIV and AIDS.
How to Organize an HIV Testing Event – A 2012 Louisiana Annual Conference downloadable resource which provides step-by-step instructions on how to set up a testing event. Sample resource tools are also included.
Africa Praying…A Handbook on HIV & AIDS Sensitive Sermon Guidelines and Liturgy by Rev. Dr. Musa Dube
Jamaica Praying...A Handbook on HIV & AIDS Sensitive Sermon Guidelines and Liturgy, February 2015, United Theological College of the West Indies (UTCWI). The resource aims to equip church workers to offer a sensitive response to people affected by the HIV and AIDS pandemic.
Report from the World Council of Churches from the 2016 International AIDS Conference, Durban, S. Africa
United Methodist Human Sexuality Curriculum:
Prevention of Mother to Child Transmission – This resource is a downloadable power point presentation on the Prevention of HIV from Mother-to-Child and can be used for educational purposes in large and/or small groups. Excellent for local congregations.
HIV 101 – A downloadable basic power point presentation on HIV, its origins, statistics, and how it’s contracted. A great resource for small groups, youth groups, local congregations.
Teens Skype AIDS Orphans (UMTV)